Monday 15 February 2010

Photographer Interview
Distorted Retina:- Fetish photographer with an eye for fantasic imagery



Let's get the obvious question out of the way: what made you decide to pick up a camera and be a photographer?

I was studying sound and lighting production but I needed more hours in my timetable, so I decided on two subjects that deal with light, Physic’s and Photography. I was lucky as it was a performing arts college there were always loads of bands and performers as willing subjects.

It was years after that I finally started shooting professionally and working for local Press and several national and Multi-national company’s.



Who/what is your inspiration?

My main inspiration at that time were music photographers such as Ross Halfin and Tony Mottram who were working for Kerrang! And Metal Hammer at that time. As my work developed I became more interested in Bob Carlos Clarke and Steve Diet Geodde which is when my love for more alternative and fetish images come from.



What has been your most interesting shoot to date?

If I had to pick one shoot then I would be working with the wildhearts on their ‘Destroy All Monsters’ video. If you have not seen it check it out on YouTube to see what I mean!

But also and for totally different reasons. The first ever shoot I did in LA many years ago with Miss Conduct. We were shooting outside, round the back of a disused building next to her apartment. She was wearing thigh high boots and a Straight Jacket. Some of the looks and comments from the locals made for a very interesting shoot!



Where do you see yourself and your photography in 5 years time?

I’m currently on the look out for a studio that will become the new home for my work, I ideally want a space that allows me to try different looks and styles including more mainstream work for fashion and commercial clients.



Have you ever had people being stupidly negative towards you and your work? and how did you deal with it?

Nothing that is really worth talking about, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.



So let's talk news, how are you coping with the economic climate? Have you had to cut back on equipment/shooting in general?

I’m lucky at the moment as I do have another income, so I can’t really say it has had any effect on me, I think I may have become a bit more selective when looking and costing locations for shoots, but its not stopped me shooting or buying new equipment.




Let's say I'm a model, and I want to work with you really bad! What would you look for in me before considering me as a potential model?

Polite, Open minded and Enthusiastic would be a great start. Also someone who does not expect everything to be done for them, I prefer shoots to be a collaboration of idea’s.




We know that every photographer has good and bad shoots, but when are you most satisfied with a shoot?

When everyone involved is happy with the images!

Normally Models and photographers will always prefer slightly different images and for slightly different reasons. When you get everything to come together and everyone loves the same image then that’s a feeling that’s hard to beat.



There is always room for improvement! Where/how would you like to improve with your photography?

I’m always looking to create better images than I did at the last shoot, everyday is a learning curve.

I would love to have access to more varied lighting equipment to try new idea’s and I’m always looking at ways of making my post production better.



Have you ever had a bad experience with a model?

No, there will always be some people that you really connect with and others that you don’t.



What is your pet hate for models?

Not being on time and turning up looking like you have just fallen out of bed still in last night clothes.



What is your pet hate for photographers?

Thinking they are right, everyone’s vision and style is different.



Are you self taught? Or did you attend photography classes/courses?

A basic City & Guilds in B/W photography, which gave me all the basics I needed to develop and create my own style.



Sometimes you just have to learn lessons in life the hard way, what would you say has been your most valuable lesson along your photographic journey?

Remembering that sometimes you have to shut up and do what’s needed, even if you don’t think it’s the right thing. Give the client what they want.




And finally, what would be your dream collaboration?

Megan Fox and Atsuko Kudo latex!


No comments:

Post a Comment