Monday 15 February 2010

Photographer Interview
Sarah May Photography:- Beautiful photographs from a fellow female photographer!



Let's get the obvious question out of the way: what made you decide to pick up a camera and be a photographer?
I've always been a massive art geek and when I was about 13/14 I discovered websites like deviant and started uploading my badly taken film pictures and digital camera pictures until I got my first DSLR when I was 16! I really liked other peoples work, and how as cheesy as it is pictures can really say 1000 words. The first photographer I discovered that really made me want to take pictures was Zhang Jingna (aka Zemotion) I thought her work was stunning and wanted to be able to do something as good


Who/what is your inspiration?

I love pin up, alt and fetish photography and photographers like Helmut Newton and models like bettie page I adore! Though mostly quite local photographers I discovered (like yourself!) and Catherine Day and pirate photo inspired me quite alot! I think besides other photographers, Artists like Sylvia Ji, and music or books often give me inspirations or idea for photoshoots.


What has been your most interesting shoot to date?
I think my most intresting one was one I did with Mimi Couture and Miss Cissy P. It was in Pagans Tattoo studio in leeds, and we used latex clothing (some from cathouse clothing) and it was really fun, with whips and strapping Mias (Mimi Couture) boyfriend to the tattoo chair! I got some great shots and it was a really interesting location, one of my fav shoots!


Where do you see yourself and your photography in 5 years time?
I really hope by then I'd be able to have my own studio space or a home studio, as not having one at the moment can be a nightmare! I can't imagine I'd stop doing photoshoots, so hopefully by then I'll have alot more experience, and alot more equipment! And possibly even the ability to turn it into a full time career.


Have you ever had people being stupidly negative towards you and your work? and how did you deal with it?
I can understand that some people may find it a little weird with some of the concepts and things I choose or would like to shoot, but some do take  it too far! It can be really upsetting and I get quite alot of snide comments about doing pin up or fetish photography. I don't think people took me seriously (and still don't!) because I'm younger than most or my work was "weird." I find sometimes other photographers and some models can be quite rude, as they just assume I'm not in it for the long run, as for some reason my age seems to mean that I'm not a "proper" photographer. I do get some comments on pictures on facebook and such calling models ugly etc just because they have tattoos or piercings or aren't a size 0, but I just enjoy taking photos of intresting people, and I think theres different kinds of beauty and it'd be boring if everyone I worked with looked the same! Honestly, I've stopped caring it's something I enjoy, and I have my friends support and thats all I need!


So let's talk news, how are you coping with the economic climate? Have you had to cut back on equipment/shooting in general?
At the moment I'm in college, and I don't have a job so I find it really hard to travel out of Leeds, or to hire studios or buy new equipment anyway! When my last camera broke I really stuggled to pay back the money for it so I'm a bit out of pocket, I can't really afford any new lenses and such, but I'm going to have to cut down on shoots alot so I can work and pay for
equipment and props etc. So this years going to be a lot of working with what I've got, even thought its really annoying and disappointing having to turn down amazing shoots because I just can afford a studio or lighting or to get to some places!


Let's say I'm a model, and I want to work with you really bad! What would you look for in me before considering me as a potential model?
I always check through models portfolios, I usually work with people who have at least a little bit of experience, though some people who only have one or two pics you can tell are just really photogenic and I'll work with them anyway! I like to look for people with a bit of an edge, who I know are going to be interesting to shoot with! I know people think I tend to work with only "alternative" models, though I will work with anyone I think will benefit my portfolio!


We know that every photographer has good and bad shoots, but when are you most satisfied with a shoot?
I'm satisfied when I get atleast one photo which makes me think wow, something that jumps out and I'm immediately happy with, it's not always what I was after in the first place, but Its such a good feeling when I feel like I've got a photo worth showing everyone!


There is always room for improvement! Where/how would you like to improve with your photography?
I'd like more experience with studio work, and I also think I need quite a bit more practice with live/gig photography! I think I could probably improve alot more by giving models a bit more direction though most of the people I work with barely need it!


Have you ever had a bad experience with a model?
I've done a couple of shoots where I found it really awkward to work with models, because they are very static, or don't relax when they are shooting. I did end up telling both these models to relax, or just to try something different, but as soon as the camera clicks they go back to the same static pose!


What is your pet hate for models?
Well as I mentioned before, the same pose/face in every photo no matter how much you tell them! It can look amazing but get boring and mean I use a smaller set as I feel like I'm editing the same picture over and over. Also it irritates me when models ask me to work with them, and then expect payment when they have had little experience and asked me in the first place! I come across quite alot of rude wannabe models who can't understand why I can't work with them at the drop of a hat!


What is your pet hate for photographers?
I find that alot of photographers can be really rude (as can models!) when asking them genral questions about equipment or telling them that you like their work! I guess it can be annoying if you get asked alot but I think its a bit unnecessary to be rude!


Are you self taught? Or did you attend photography classes/courses?

I'm self taught! I use the internet and just mess around with my camera alot to help me, or ask people advice on how to improve my photos!


Sometimes you just have to learn lessons in life the hard way, what would you say has been your most valuable lesson along your photographic journey?
I have had a designers talking about me behind my back for no particular reason, and heard alot of models bitching about other models, but I know it can be quite a bitchy industry, and the only way to get past that is to rise above it! Also just to generally ignore things like that, because if I took everything to heart I'd just have given up!


And finally, what would be your dream collaboration?
I'd love to work with Atsuko Kudo Latex with the models Ophelia Overdose and Countess-Grotesque!

No comments:

Post a Comment