Tuesday 12 January 2010

Paradisaea

Model Interview
Paradisaea:- Model, designer, multi talented beauty. Creating designs only the daring dare to wear!


So, the question that everyone just has to ask in an interview: What made you decide to give modelling a shot?
Back when I was about 15 (11 years ago... ouch), I saw an image of a fetish model on a magazine cover. It was at that point that I realised there was actually a thing such as alterniative modeling. I remember saying to my mum "I want to be a fetish model" and her looking at me like I was nuts.



Who/what is your inspiration?

Back then, being that it was these people who drew my attention to it, I would have said I aspired to models like Morrigan Hel, Mistress Persephone, Masuimi Max and the like... but now that I've seen what else the whole modelling thing has to offer I am far more content in just striving to achieve the things I come up with in my own mind and making decent images with other people. I'm not saying I don't aspire to be a better model but I don't really aspire to any particular individuals any more. That's not to say I don't seriously admire others' work though because I do.


What was your most interesting shoot to date?
I'd have to say my shoot with Marc Blackie that involved toplessness and dead animals was pretty interesting! Very enjoyable too!


Where do you see yourself and your modelling in 5 years time?

I have no idea. I'd like to think I'd still be doing the odd bit here and there, but if my career goes the way I hope it will, I may not have enough time to do much!


So many models have side projects, do you have one? Or would you like one?
I am designer, taxidermist and artist so I've got plenty of projects on the go at all times. I am, however, going full time as a self-employed jewellery and accessory designer this year so that is the main one. I will be ploughing all of my time and energy into Sacré Coeur and my other creative endeavours.


Okay, let's talk news, how are you coping with the economic climate? Have you had to cut back on shooting/clothing/travel?
I am one of the lucky ones in that I can safely say, thus far, I haven't been too affected by it personally. However, of course I haven't been frivolous so where spending money is concerned, I have been a bit more careful. I'd say the only thing I've really done/bought less of is shoes and clothes... which is tragic and needs rectifying asap!



Have you ever been unfortunate enough to have a bad experience with a photographer?
No bad experiences per sé.... though I have had somewhat persistent advances by a photographer who's work would be familiar to quite a few people. It's annoying because I like them a lot and would love to work with them again... which is why I have stopped short of telling them to fuck off and just tried to kinda ignore it.



How do you respond to jealous low life who hide behind the internet to only say mean things to bring you down?

On the rare occasion I have had to deal with anything of the sort, it's usually been a case of initial (very mild) shock that someone has taken the time to behave in such a manner and honestly believe that it comes off as anything other than petty jealousy, then enjoyment in totally ignoring it thus not offering the reaction they were no doubt awaiting.



What is more important to you: Getting paid, or getting exposure?
My modelling has never been about either. I'm not vain enough to crave exposure and I've never had any illusions of turning it into a job or career. If either come my way as a consequence of what I do for enjoyment then great! But for me, it's about art, fun and making friends.



Everyone knows that a model has to feel sexy and comfortable with themselves. When do you feel at your sexiest and most comfortable?
When I've got my make-up done really nicely, interesting hair and clothes/props that take me a little closer to my fantasy ideal world that exists in my head ;) Corsets and heels are always a winner where feeling sexy is concerned.



We know that you are only human! With that in mind, what is your most embarrassing moment on set and off?
Nipple slips on set with Catherine Day were pretty fun. I was TRYING to model an overbust corset but my boobs were having none of it.



What is your pet hate for photographers?
Overbearing ego and the opinion that a model is 'just a model'.



What is your pet hate for models?
Overbearing ego and obsession with which names they've shot with. That last point actually goes for photographers too. I know it's good exposure and an accomplishment etc... but it's not the be all and end all. There are plenty of models and photographers out there who nobody has heard of yet whose work is outstanding.



Sometimes, you just gotta learn some lessons in life the hard way. What do you think has been the most valuable lesson you have learnt along the way in your modelling journey?

There will be days when you look at the work other people are producing and where they're getting with it and wondering why the hell you bother.... especially when people just show up out of nowhere and are all of a sudden top of their game. It's natural and it's
not exclusive to modelling and photography... the trick is to turn it round and use it to better yourself and further what you do. The day you feel you can no longer do that is the day you stop altogether.



And finally, what would be your dream collaboration?
Oh god... so many. I'd love to work with a team on a fetish shoot similar to the high end ones that got me into this thing in the first place. Maybe something like Hair and MUA by Robert Masciave and Bea Sweet, Wardrobe by Lacing Lilith and/or Mother of London and shot by someone like Love the Void or Silent View. If I could chuck a couple more models into the mix I don't think I'd be able to choose myself... but saying that, Lauren WK from the states is waaay cute so maybe her ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment