Friday 15 January 2010

Photographer Interview
Nitemare Photography
:- Beautifully colourful, fantastically edited and breath taking photography!



Let's get the obvious question out of the way: what made you decide to pick up a camera and be a photographer?

I use to draw and do a lot of manipulation, I mainly enjoyed it when I pranced around infront of a camera and photoshop myself onto some weird background (they were seriously awful). I just decided that photographing other people on location was more fun. It all grew from that (:



Who/what is your inspiration?
When I drive or walk, the locations and things I see inspire me a lot. I could be walking to work and see something really simple which could instantly trigger an idea that I have to follow through. I also admire photographers such as Lithium Picnic & David La’Chapelle, I have them to thank for inspiring me to develop the style I have now.
I love colour, seeing an awesome colour combination can instantly make me start thinking of an idea for a shoot, could be the outfit or could even be the models hair.



What has been your most interesting shoot to date?
I’m lucky that 99% of all my shoots are really interesting as the models are dressed so incredibly that it draws attention which leads to many stories. One challenging shoot was in the rain with Floz on our Pirate Lolita set, trying to capture waves at their best whilst trying not to get yourself, the model and your camera wet. I thought I was going to loose Floz to the waves!
I think my most interesting was when I stayed in Grimsby for a few days and shot with Lady Wildflower and Miss Cobweb. I’m not familiar with the north, particularly when it comes to chavs and general ignorance. We had a lot of funny things shouted at us. But I think the cherry on the cake was the weird farmer taking a liking to Jayde whilst shooting our Snow White photos. When she was getting herself sorted in my car he drove past in his truck and waved like a crazy man…hilarious stuff!



Where do you see yourself and your photography in 5 years time?
I really hope to have started the process of opening my own studio in Canterbury . I also would like to have progressed more with editorial work as well as advertising work. I find myself wishing a lot…I just got to work my arse off to achieve my dreams.



Have you ever had people being stupidly negative towards you and your work? and how did you deal with it?
I get it on a regular basis online. People like to pick at my editing and how it’s ‘over edited’. I do tend to get defensive as I feel every photographer has a right to their own style. I don’t want to show images shot straight off my camera, I want to make them into art. It’s what makes them what they are. I essentially use a digital darkroom, I dodge and burn…just like you would in a real darkroom. I do, however, need to let these things go and just do art that pleases myself and those who like it.



So let's talk news, how are you coping with the economic climate? Have you had to cut back on equipment/shooting in general?
I’m lucky (as everyone’s said in their answer to this) as I’ve always had a full time job. Models tend to come to me which saves me petrol, when I am asked to travel I just ask them to help me with the travelling costs. I’ve never really invested in props (something I do want to start doing) so that’s something I haven’t had to worry about.

At the end of the day I have a mortgage to pay, but this hasn’t meant I’ve had to cut back on shooting…luckily.



Let's say I'm a model, and I want to work with you really bad! What would you look for in me before considering me as a potential model?
I look for diversity in a portfolio. Or sometimes the complete opposite. If I see a model with potential but with a crap portfolio, I like the idea of essentially helping them kick start their portfolio.
I am drawn to colourful hair, great style, a diverse wardrobe and I love great use of legs/feet. I like breaking the rules of fashion (especially Lolita), if I see a portfolio with just mirror shots with a great style and likes to mix fashion, I might just say yes.



We know that every photographer has good and bad shoots, but when are you most satisfied with a shoot?

When I know the model had a great time as well as myself. I get easily excited when I feel like I have ‘the shot’, when the model shows the same enthusiasm I am fully satisfied it has been a great shoot. Also when I come to edit them down and I struggle to narrow it down to the final trio, I’m even happier.



There is always room for improvement! Where/how would you like to improve with your photography?
I would love to learn how to use my flash gun to it’s full potential on location. I sometimes do a whole shoot and not realize until I edit them that there are unattractive shadows on the face, or the sky is bleached out because I had to evenly expose the model and completely forgot about the surroundings.
I also would like to use a lot more props and concepts rather than just fashion shoots.



Have you ever had a bad experience with a model?
Not necessarily. I have with a MUA though. The whole shoot went wrong due to miss communication. It got out of hand so I deleted the images and that was that. It was unnecessary and ridiculous.



What is your pet hate for models?

Those who think they are so hot that they don’t need to pay for a shoot and just by emailing they assume you will agree to doing TFP.



What is your pet hate for photographers?
Those who are in cliques and male photographers who think you should be modelling, not shooting, as you’re a female with tits.



Are you self taught? Or did you attend photography classes/courses?
I started off with education (A-level & BTEC) and wanted to go onto University but was declined from my first choice Uni. I then went on to having studio based jobs where I learnt on the job or from the odd person willing to give me their time. Other than that I learn as I go along.
I learn things, forget about them then years later think ‘hmm I wonder how I do that’, look it up and realise ‘oh yeah, I knew that!’. It’s a vicious cycle.



Sometimes you just have to learn lessons in life the hard way, what would you say has been your most valuable lesson along your photographic journey?
That things don’t just happen. Only you can make them happen.



And finally, what would be your dream collaboration?

I think to be able to work with Viktoria, Raquel Reed, Dita Von Teese and MUAs such as Bea Sweet.
Vivienne Westwood, La’Chapelle & crazy photoshop artists like Frizzy Cube.
I dream of working with Japanese fashion brands and magazines too!

No comments:

Post a Comment